Beyond any reasonable shadow of a doubt, over the years, Apple has soared through the ranks and remained as the most successful producer of smartphones and tablets. The sleekness of your iPad Air, for instance, makes you just want to carry it everywhere you go, even on a boat cruise!
You could pass the time playing Candy Crush on its massive screen or use it for more serious stuff – sea navigation. Whatever your choice is, know this: iPad mounts for boats are a necessity for boat trips. Either that or you stand the risk of losing your device to Poseidon.
Rest assured; there’s no cause for alarm. We can only imagine that you’re curious to know the most reliable iPad holders for boats right about now. Hold your breath… We’ve got you!
What Are the Best Tablet Mounts for Boats?
You can find our top picks for the best tablet mounts on a boat here.
Tidal Mounts brings a nuclear warhead to a fistfight! That sums it all up!
Of all mounts that you can use on a boat, this is one of the best and most sophisticated around. Unlike all the ones we’ve seen, this is designed to attach to both rounded and flat surfaces! ‘But how?’ you may ask. It’s a clamp, remember? All you need to do is tighten it around the edges of whatever surface! Amazing! Say bye to drilling and bolting!
What’s in the box?
- Sturdy base with the clamp
- Lever Mount
Product Dimensions: 9.18×3.87×11.5”
Item Weight: 2.2 pounds
Manufacturer: Tidal Mounts
Item model number: 8541527190
1. All mounts in one! Some mounts that have clamps like this can only work with either tubes or flat surfaces. Not this one! If it has a surface, it can clamp it! The Tidal mount works on planks, bars, tables, tubes… knock yourself out!
2. Highly mobile: You would think that such sophistication would be impossible to move around. Nothing is more untrue! Unlike the iBOLT and ARKON models that you leave in permanent positions, you can unclamp the tidal mount in the twinkle of an eye. You can use it on the boat, and anywhere else, as often as you want to.
- The tidal mount is the king of sturdiness. Once in place, it doesn’t wiggle or bounce around.
- Suitable for all surfaces.
- It is both portable and mobile.
- It can be easily adjusted.
- It’s the heaviest we’ve reviewed. It is, therefore, not as flexible.
- Since it needs to be assembled, it doesn’t come ready-to-use.
Tidal Mount has all we’d ever want in an iPad mount suitable for a yacht, and more! Loss of some flexibility is only a small price to pay for the kind of efficiency it offers.
iBOLT is that company that is sold out to providing comfort to drivers by keeping their smartphones within reach. The TabDock Bizmount has to be one of the best one to get on your boat. This adjustable beauty will perfectly fit any of your iPads, regardless of the size.
One of the greatest strengths of the iBOLT TabDock is its efficient industry-standard ball joint. This ensures that you can tilt your iPad even in the most awkward positions, at zero risks of slipping. There is freedom of turning your iPad; however, you like to provide you with easy access to phone calls, videos, and navigation.
There’s much more.
What’s in the box?
- TadDock tablet Holder
- 5” dual ball joint adjustable pedestal
- Drill base
- Screw pack and adhesive for drill base.
Product Dimensions: 12.5 x 8 x 0.1 inches
Item Weight: 9.9 ounces
Item model number: IBBZ-33921
Other display features: Wireless
1. Anywhere flat! You can mount its drill base on a table, a desk, or just anywhere that has a flat surface. Yes, anywhere with a flat surface. With this freedom, you have your tab just where you need it to be.
2. Dual-Ball Mounting System: The iBOLT TabDock offers such seamless adjustability. This is due to the 360° rotation that the industrialized balls offer. One ball is directly attached to the base (made of sturdy metal). One end of the pedestal fits here, while the other end fits into the ball of the adaptor that secures the holder. The flexibility these balls afford is best experienced than imagined.
3. Sturdy holder: With the iBOLT TabDock, the safety of your tablet is the ultimate priority. To this end, the holder has four contact points, one gripping each edge of your tablet. These also support your iPad’s case. There’s no need to strip it naked before mounting it. The holder is also adjustable, supporting pads and tablets within 7 to 10 inches.
- It holds all tablets and pads within 7 to 10 inches.
- It has two adjustable points for easy viewing.
- It’s easy to assemble.
- The plastic holder is not durable. Breaks easily.
iBOLT is one of the best manufacturers of devices like this. The versatility and efficiency of the TabDock is no surprise at all. Somewhat disappointing, however, is the non-durability of the holders. Judging by some users’ comments, the holder sometimes barely lasts for a month.
AboveTEK depicts all the class and convenience that modern devices have to offer. Unlike more ‘medieval’ designs, the AboveTEK iPad holder is a more modern marine mount. The design cancels the need for self-coupling since all the parts have been ingeniously assembled into one. Hence, there’s no need for any technical know-how whatsoever. It can be immediately used right out of the box.
As you would soon see, however, the convenience this holder affords comes at a cost.
What’s in the box?
- The entire iPad holder
- A camera holder
- An extra sticky pad.
- An Allen wrench
Product Dimensions: 5.5 x 4 x 1.5 inches
Item Weight: 1.3 pounds
Item model number: TS-136W
1. Maximum Suction: When you turn the rotator knob at the base, it expels all the air between the suction cup and the surface. It truly works like magic. This ensures maximum adhesion and unwavering stability. The suction works on both horizontal and vertical surfaces.
2. Portability: Unlike the more technical variants, the TS-136W is more portable and travel-friendly. This is because it requires no time to unpack, and is equally usable right outside the box. It is lightweight, weighing only 1.3 pounds. You won’t even know you’re carrying it.
3. Universal Design: The AboveTEK TS-136W probably has the most flexible range you’ll ever see. It is a true wonder that it can hold 3.5 to 11 inches devices! In essence, you can use it for both your smartphones and pads!
- It doesn’t need to be assembled; it comes ready-to-use.
- You can use it for both smartphones and iPads.
- It has a 360° swivel rotation. Your iPad can 11 any position you want, with no risk of falling.
- Can mount into a tripod or projector.
- The suction pad only works on glass and smooth surfaces.
- Suction is not reliable. Adhesion could be lost within minutes.
As much as we hate to hear it, we millennials are probably the laziest humans to exist upon the earth’s surface. We like that AboveTEK meets us halfway. Everything is ready to use!
And oh… Moisturizing the cusp before attaching it to a surface makes all the difference!
If you have no future plans to change your tablet holder from one position, consider buying the ARKON Tab806. Like the iBOLT TabDock, it is a highly functional and flexible mount. There’s no doubt whatsoever concerning its durability, efficiency, and versatility. It boasts of an impressive range of about 7 to 18.4 inches! The largest laptops have 17.3″ screens! That drives the point home, doesn’t it?
What’s in the box?
- Arkon’s Slim-Grip Universal Tablet Holder
- Aluminum Mounting Pedestal with 8” Adjustable Arm
- 4-Hole AMPS Drill Base
Item model number: TAB806
Item Weight: 1 pound
Product Dimensions: 10 x 14 x 4 inches
Warranty: 2 years
1. Unparalleled strength: Asides the holder’s plastic appendages, everything about this mount is ‘rock solid’ – all metal and aluminum. The mount does not crack under the weight of your pad or your fingers’ pressure on the pad. It remains immovable, despite many vibrations around.
2. Flexibility: Like the previous two, we have examined, this does not slack on flexibility and adjustment. It has a 180° rotation side-by-side, a multi-angled arm. This arm has three adjustment knobs that help to either tighten or loosen flexibility. There are three joints; one knob for each.
3. Spring-loaded holder: The Tab806 is convenient to use. Asides the fact that the holder allows you to use your iPad’s casing, it is also spring-loaded. To insert your device, all you need to do is push down the holder’s lower legs with one hand. In similar tools, this simple task feels like such a chore!
- The quality materials used to build it ensure durability.
- Inserting and removing your device has never been more convenient.
- Best for permanent installations.
- It needs to be assembled, and therefore cannot be used right outside the box.
- Not the best fit if you’re someone that usually needs to change the location of the mount.
- The plastic appendages of the holder are a chink in its armor. They break off very easily.
Arkon Tab806 is your go-to when you want 100% reliability. It’s grip on whatever flat surface is unquestionable. Its general durability ensures that you can use it for as long as you want to. It’s so good; it has a 2-year warranty. We feel that the plastic extensions on the holder could be replaced with rubber-coated metals—the rubber to protect your tablet from scratch, and the metal for more strength.
Things to Consider before Buying a Mount
When buying a tablet mount for your boat, consider the following:
1. Portability: The weight and design will always give it away.
2. Versatility: Do you desire to use your iPad mount to hold smaller or even larger devices? Ensure the holder has an impressive range.
3. Mobility: If you intend to use your yacht iPad stand on the desk in your room, a permanent mount is not one you should consider buying.
4. Durability: Plastic is never the bulk of any good mount. If you hope to enjoy your purchase for a long time, get mounts with metal bodies.
5. Budget: Of course, your budget is important. The depth of your pocket will determine the type of mounts you can afford.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Can I use my car iPad mount on my boat?
Why can’t you? So long as you can firmly grip it to any convenient surface on your boat, you’re good to go!
Q2. Will it fit my smartphone?
All you need to do is find out the range that the holder accommodates. Once the dimensions of your device fall in this range, you’re good to go.
Tabs and pads never felt so mobile as the iPad mounts designed for boats make them feel. They are very affordable and make all the difference in your user experience. You should seriously consider purchasing one.